Switchbacks Forums
July 20, 2018, 08:55:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Trails v1.80 now available (December 16, 2014)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A couple of basic questions  (Read 8494 times)
Cheminer Will
Wayfarer

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2010, 01:15:08 pm »

I have Mapsource and Topo U.S. 2008.  I also just downloaded the Northwest Topos.  On my 60CSx I currently have the Topo US 2008 map and another called "NW USA Topo".  I don't remember where NW USA Topo is from.  I managed to load these two onto the GPSr over a year ago and can't seem to refresh my recollection of how I did it.  

Using Mapsource I can see both the Topo US 2008 map and the Northwest Topos map.  I can't get them to overlay, but I think read a post here that said that is normal for viewing within Mapsource. I do want to get both maps on to the 60CSx and am a little confused by the following from the Northwest Topos page:

It is important to note that when you upload maps to your receiver, the existing mapset on the unit will be deleted.  This means that if you want to load Northwest Topos with City Navigator, for example, you will need to upload the chosen City Navigator maps along with Northwest Topos all at once.

From within Mapsource, how to I upload the Topo US 2008 and the NW Topos "at once".  

Also, should I load these into the unit's memory, or onto the 2gb card in the GPSr?  Or is there even a choice?

Thanks to anyone for advice!
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 05:10:50 pm »

Chances are you downloaded NW USA Topo from GPSFileDepot.  You can find it there at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/134/ if you want to download it again.

MapSource is limited in that it cannot display separate mapsets together like the GPS, even if one mapset is transparent.  To upload multiple mapsets to the GPS, you select the tiles from the first one that you want using the Map Tool, then switch to another mapset using the map drop-down in the toolbar and select the tiles you want from it, and so on.  All of the tiles you select from the multiple mapsets will appear under the "Maps" tab in MapSource.  When you have everything selected that you want to upload, just connect your GPS to your computer and select "Send to Device".

Let me/us know if you have any questions!

Jon
Cheminer Will
Wayfarer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 05:20:55 pm »

Thanks - I guess the only question right now given what you said in my "Wow" post, is this:

So I select tiles from Topo U.S. 2008, then select tiles to cover the same area from Northwest Topos, so they are combined in the Maps tab as you say, then upload that to the 60CSx, or to the card, I guess.  Will it look like one map on the GPSr, or will there be issues because NW Topos is not transparent?
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 02:33:13 pm »

When two mapsets are not transparent, only the one with the higher priority setting (set by the creator during the creation process) will display.  Northwest Topos has a higher priority setting than Topo 2008, so you will see NW Topos on the GPS.

Jon
Cheminer Will
Wayfarer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 10:04:59 pm »

OK, Thanks.  I uploaded a map from NW Topos.  Odd thing is that if I zoom out far enough to show areas on the GSPr screen that are past where NW Topos go to, that part of the map is all wrong.  It shows cities in CA that are of course south of Oregon as being to the north.  Also show the Pacific being to the east instead of west.  The center of the screen where NW Topos is displaying is correct though.  Maybe I should have somehow cleared the previous maps off the 60CSx before uploading NW Topos?

By the way, the order arrived yesterday.  Thanks for the quick service!
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 10:31:12 am »

You can also select on the 6CSx which mapset(s) that are loaded will be displayed.  On the map page, hit Menu, then select Information (the 'i' in a circle).  Hit menu again, and on that list you can select which mapset to display (if you select two non-transparent sets, the one with the high priority will show).  I do this to switch between City Navigator and NW Topo's.

Beware of Geeks bearing Gadgets!
Cheminer Will
Wayfarer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 09:41:53 pm »

Hmm.  Thanks for the explanation.  Still odd that once I display areas beyond the NW Topo map I loaded, those maps are all screwy.  I think I will just start over and see what happens.  I updated the firmware and software on the 60CSx on the same day that I added the NW Topo map to the maps that were already on the unit.  That may be the genesis of the incorrect map display.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: