Switchbacks Forums
September 19, 2020, 10:39:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Topos v0.27 now available (December 16, 2014)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is poor data better than no data?  (Read 7633 times)
savant9
Trekker

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2009, 01:09:38 am »

I wanted to create a map of a local park, as a reference so I could know where I was heading for recording tracklogs.  I often have limited time, so I need to make many trips picking the section that I want to record.  The map that I created is hand traced in OziExplorer from a PDF file of the parks own published map..... http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/maps/Maps/CampbellValleymap.pdf

The map is great, however the representation of the trails on that map, do not very accurately reflect their actual locations and are much smoother appearing than the true trail course.

So I guess my question is, should I submit known erroneous data, to be corrected at a later date, or just wait until I have actual track data to submit?

The park currently is not in the NWTrails mapset.
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 07:22:27 am »

I've taken the stance that any data is better than no data.  Even with data that is just a rough approximation (like much of the Forest Service and DNR data that is included in the project), it is possible to plan out a journey and see the way the network of trails and roads connect.  I vote to include what you have and just mark those things that are taken from the map rather than GPS as such and to be recorded/verified at a later time.

Jon
savant9
Trekker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 05:30:39 pm »

Ok I will send it to you.  Would you prefer the .mp file or the .img ?
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 06:14:53 pm »

If you have it in Ozi format, I can take it in that format.  Otherwise, it's probably easiest for you to send it as the .img file.

Thanks1

Jon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: