Switchbacks Forums
October 23, 2019, 08:20:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Trails v1.80 now available (December 16, 2014)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unneeded complication?  (Read 12239 times)
Chefrd2000
« on: January 11, 2012, 02:18:06 pm »

Howdy.... I'm new to forum (and mapping gps).   I found this hunting for maps to install and simply moved on when I read this:     "download the .tgz file from the link at the top of this page, unarchive it into the resulting .tar file, then unpack that to a .gmapi file. This file can then be installed into RoadTrip with MapManager and onto the GPS receiver with MapInstall.". 

3 extensions i dont know, and 3 programs that I don't want to install on my computer.  After some thought, I decided to ask if this was a available, or could be made available for people like me who would enjoy these maps... But don't want the mess. (or doesnt need all those states) How bout this?

Garmin Washington state trails 1.71 download:    .Kmz    Or   .img

By state, the files should be tiny. No compression needed.  Just download, drag, drop, enjoy.
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 04:12:11 pm »

Those instructions are for Mac users running Garmin MapSource who want to get the data into that application (and then onto their GPS). Is this what you are trying to do?

Jon
Lightning Jeff
Wayfarer

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 04:24:39 pm »

Howdy.... I'm new to forum (and mapping gps).   I found this hunting for maps to install and simply moved on when I read this:     "download the .tgz file from the link at the top of this page, unarchive it into the resulting .tar file, then unpack that to a .gmapi file. This file can then be installed into RoadTrip with MapManager and onto the GPS receiver with MapInstall.". 

3 extensions i dont know, and 3 programs that I don't want to install on my computer.  After some thought, I decided to ask if this was a available, or could be made available for people like me who would enjoy these maps... But don't want the mess. (or doesnt need all those states) How bout this?

Garmin Washington state trails 1.71 download:    .Kmz    Or   .img

By state, the files should be tiny. No compression needed.  Just download, drag, drop, enjoy.

You're quoting the Mac instructions, so can I assume you're on a Mac? If so, I'm not sure if Jon can help you, so I'll offer some thoughts.

This isn't as hard as it sounds. You don't need to know anything about the file extensions. However, you DO need to have MapManager and MapInstall installed on your Mac. These are Garmin programs and are required in order to install maps on a Garmin GPS receiver. So get them: http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-06 (one download for both items).

Once you have those installed, the process is really this easy:

- Click the link for the mapset you want and save it on your computer.
- Double-click the downloaded .tgz file; this will unpack it to a single .gmapi file.
- Double-click that. MapManager will prompt you to confirm that you want to install this mapset on your computer (for use, for instance, in BaseCamp, and necessary for installation to the GPS receiver). Confirm by clicking "Install." When that completes, click Quit. You can now delete the .tgz and .gmapi files.
- Connect your GPS receiver. It should show up in the Finder.
- Open MapInstall. When it detects your receiver, select the mapset you want to install from the popup; then select as much or as little of the geographic coverage as you want to install on your receiver; and let 'er rip.

I'm not sure how Jon could make it any easier, and having to download (and then install) separate mapsets for each state would be a real pain and waste of time, when it is trivially easy to pick your geographic region from within MapInstall.
Chefrd2000
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 05:36:24 pm »

No... THIS method is a real pain and a waste of time... Thats why i asked. (i expected this kind of reply) I wouldnt have a single problem with the instructions.  And no, I don't need any of those programs to install maps.   I just installed 6 open street maps, and a bunch of custom .kmz files from google earth.   Just to give you an idea what I'm talking about:   I downloaded a map of Washington state streets, it showed up as a .img , I stuck it in the garmin file...  And it works! Now have 6 of the major cities I visit on a regular basis in my etrex 20.   No extra software, no conversions. I just thought I would share why I "moved on" and didn't install your maps. And I am quite sure I'm not the first or last.   I see I have wasted my breath.  Yes, people who ride this type of forum love complication, real people want "simple" .   Sorry to waste your time.
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 06:19:44 pm »

I think you are misunderstanding what LightningJeff (and I) are saying, and we certainly don't mean to sound like we are insulting you. The installation process is naturally a bit more complicated than just copying a file directly to a GPS, as the mapset as set up is meant for visualization on the computer as well as on the GPS.

Would you be willing to try something? I've posted an .img file of the latest build of Northwest Trails at http://www.switchbacks.com/downloads/NW_Trails_v1.72.img. Could you download that and copy it to your receiver and see if it does what you want?

Thanks!

Jon
Lightning Jeff
Wayfarer

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 08:39:09 pm »

Well, I'll just add that I think having the maps available on the computer (in BaseCamp, for me) is highly useful. I get as much value out of that as I do out of having them on the GPS receiver.

That and, since I haven't said it lately, thanks Jon for continuing to make these maps available - including for us Mac people!
atlas cached
Tenderfoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 11:46:11 pm »

I see I have wasted my breath.  Yes, people who ride this type of forum love complication, real people want "simple" .   Sorry to waste your time.

This is actually quite offensive to me.

It also makes it quite clear that it is your way or the highway, and anyone who cares to disagree with your way are not 'real people'.

The maps provided by Switchbacks for FREE are the finest of their kind. I have every Garmin Topo available for the pacific northwest, and I can tell you, the NW Topo and NW Trails available here for FREE are far superior. My GPSr are so much more useful to me since I found these maps.

And, for all the MAC lovers, I remember when every MAC advertisement liked to brag about how much simpler everything was with a MAC. "Everything Just Works" they would say.

Well, that ain't so any more. I know two people int he last week that have dumped their MACs in favor of new Windows PC's as they were tired of common accessories no longer working with their MACs.

These maps are not difficult to install.

Thank You Moun10Bike!
CDuck
Tenderfoot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 06:22:11 pm »

I just want to say that I got NW Trails installed with help from a Mac user here.  The instruction he gave works easily.  All you need is MapManager and MapInstall, and then follow the instructions.  I am not saying there aren't other ways to do it, but this one works.  Peace.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: