Switchbacks Forums
April 23, 2014, 05:24:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Topos v0.26 now available (December 12, 2013)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: importing NW trails into google earth?  (Read 1992 times)
newwood
Tenderfoot

View Profile Email
« on: June 03, 2012, 09:14:26 am »

So someone must have figured this out, but I haven't seen it on the site: google earth let's you see overlays of KMZ files, so is there a way to do that with NW trail set so we can see the trails superimposed onto google earth images?  Planning a return into the Beartooths of Montana/Wyoming and this would be _very_ handy.

Indeed the 3d views of google earth are so useful when going off trail that I'm thinking of hauling the ipad along just to help with route finding.  This is tricky because obviously no signal out there so the best I think I can do is depend on the cache of image data the ipad seems to retain when in "airplane mode", which (if you zoom in and scan around the area you're hiking while you still have a connection) seems like it might be adequate.  Limited battery use (unless buy and bring a solar charger-- risk of carrying 100 pounds of lightweight gear).

Gsnorgathon
Trekker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 02:09:25 pm »

I know of no graceful way of importing Garmin maps into Google Earth, but have ungracefully done so: take a screen shot, and place it as an image overlay.

Since Garmin maps are vector based, and Google Earth is raster based, any import method would have to render the vectors into a supported raster format first. I'd love to see such a thing, but I'm guessing it won't happen soon, if at all. (Another list of things to fund when I win the lottery!)
Red90
Tenderfoot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 11:56:24 am »

You can use Map Toolkit, http://www.maptk.dnsalias.com/ to convert the IMG file(s) to GPX.  It works very well.  You can then convert the GPX to KML with GPSBabel.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: