Switchbacks Forums
November 19, 2018, 08:49:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Topos v0.27 now available (December 16, 2014)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with 60csx  (Read 13487 times)
TheWinterTrio
Tenderfoot

View Profile Email
« on: July 09, 2012, 10:28:59 pm »

Hi All,   I'm hoping someone can answer a few questions about Maps on the 60csx...

I am using MapSource to load the NorthwestTrails, NorthwestTopo and parts of an Ibycus/Canada mapset.  I load about 250 tiles that creates a single .img that is almost a Gig.  I have a 2 gig SD card where I store them along with 10Mb of GeoCache POIs.. 

So, here's my questions...

1: Does having the Canada Mapset (and Oregon/Idaho NWTopo) slow down the drawing when I'm not in Canada?  ie.   does it have it in Memory and look at it even when I'm not there?  I did notice at one point when I loaded the entire western US, the drawing was slower and had update issues, so I'm assuming this is correct..

2:  Is there a way to turn off the entire Mapset?  I only see the option to turn off individual tiles in the 60csx.  It would take quite a while to turn off all the maps I don't need for the current trip.  Can they be grouped (by me) to turn them off in chunks?  Maybe by State or something like that?  I see NorthwestTrails has each state it's own tile, so that one would work that way, but the others do not. Would creating different files for each group of tiles in MapSource allow that?

3:  Recomendation for a differet Mapset that would give me the British Columbia area that NorthwestTopos doesn't cover?  I found the Ibycus maps a number of years ago, and I really don't know how good they really are...   Maybe OSM for street cover?  The included basemap (if there is one) is pretty lame for BC..  We are mostly in the Central Interior and was very happy when I saw the coverage that is in the Switchbacks tiles...

4:  Am I doing something fundamentally wrong in managing my maps?

Thanks

-TWT/Stephen
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 11:03:38 am »

I was hoping that one of the 60CSx users would chime in here as I no longer use mine and am a bit rusty on its behaviors. I'll try to answer as best as I can:

1. I find that having multiple mapsets displayed does slow down map drawing, but my use has always been in areas where they overlap so all are trying to be rendered at once. For that reason I turn off display of mapsets I am not using. The use of profiles in more recent GPS releases has made this much easier.

2. I don't know the answer to this one. You turn off entire mapsets at once in the more recent GPS releases, but I don't recall if there is a way to do this on the 60CSx.

3. I use Canada Topo from Garmin and have found it mostly adequate. I recommend that you check http://www.gpsfiledepot.com for other possibilities.

4. Not wrong per se, just maybe ways to make things more efficient. Rather than upload all maps in one monolithic file, you can upload the first, rename it from the default "gmapsupp.img" to something else, and then upload the next one, do the same, etc. That way if you want to only update one of the mapsets, you don't have to reload everything else as well. Note that you will need to be sure that you have updated to the most recent firmware on the GPS in order for it to recognize the non-default map file names.

I hope this helps!

Jon
TheWinterTrio
Tenderfoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 05:08:18 pm »

Jon,

Thanks for the response.  It looks like I may need to live with how I am running now.  I did a few tests and it appears that the 60Csx doesn't recognize maps that are not named "gmapsupp.img".   I tried "gmapnwtp.img" and "gmapnwtr.img" and all I got was the default basemap.  It didn't load the extra maps.

As for Canada, they have a few other options there, I'll take a look and see if I like any others more...  With the amount of time I spend up there and the places I go, the NWTopos covers alot of it... Even 100 Mile house where my Mom lives..

Thanks Again,

-Stephen
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 05:16:12 pm »

What firmware version are you running on your unit? I was certain that they added the ability to rename map files on the 60CSx, but I might be mistaken.

Are there any areas of special interest to you in BC that would like to see in Northwest Topos?

Jon
TheWinterTrio
Tenderfoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 08:19:19 pm »

We're running v4.20/2.30m.  I ran the updater tool and it said we were at the latest version already.  I also did some googling an found others with the same problem with a 60csx.

As for where we spend our time, it's usually fairly close to the major highways.  TC1/97 up through WilliamsLake and a little east on 20 from there.  As well as 99 up through Whistler to where it hits 97 north of Cache Creek.

We only spend a few weeks a year up there, so it's mostly my OCD that wants to have the info in my GPS, not a real desparate need.

Thanks.

-Stephen
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 10:00:43 pm »

Hi All,   I'm hoping someone can answer a few questions about Maps on the 60csx...
<snip>
2:  Is there a way to turn off the entire Mapset?  I only see the option to turn off individual tiles in the 60csx.  It would take quite a while to turn off all the maps I don't need for the current trip.  Can they be grouped (by me) to turn them off in chunks?  Maybe by State or something like that?  I see NorthwestTrails has each state it's own tile, so that one would work that way, but the others do not. Would creating different files for each group of tiles in MapSource allow that?
Thanks
<snip>
-TWT/Stephen
When on the map page:  Menu=>Setup map - this takes you to the page where you can turn off tiles.  Hit Menu again and you can scroll down and Hide/Show mapsets (by name).  I have CN North America, NW Tops, and NW Trails (at least parts of each) and can hide/show each.  I also Hide the Basemap.

Beware of Geeks bearing Gadgets!
TheWinterTrio
Tenderfoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 10:15:29 pm »

<snip>
Thanks
<snip>
-TWT/Stephen
When on the map page:  Menu=>Setup map - this takes you to the page where you can turn off tiles.  Hit Menu again and you can scroll down and Hide/Show mapsets (by name).  I have CN North America, NW Tops, and NW Trails (at least parts of each) and can hide/show each.  I also Hide the Basemap.

Sweet!   Thanks.

-Stepehn
TheWinterTrio
Tenderfoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 07:15:45 pm »

Ok.. So now that the mapsets are 'fixed', I have another question...   I was up in the North Cascades last weekend and most of the maps were yellow, but some of the maps were light blue and some were dark blue.. 

I only had the NWTopos mapset active, and it was forest, not a lake Smiley.   Is this another setting (I can't find), or is that just how some of the maps are?   The Yellow is the easiest to read, so if it's something I can change, I'd like to turn off the blue tinting...

Thanks!

-Stephen
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 10:13:27 pm »

Which of the typesets did you select when you installed? You will want to install with the 256-color set when using with an older GPS like the 60CSx.

Jon
TheWinterTrio
Tenderfoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 10:31:58 pm »

I just installed the standard version.  I see the optional 256-color type file... I'll give that a shot.  Thanks!

-Stephen
TheWinterTrio
Tenderfoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 11:22:03 pm »

Ok.   I downloaded the 256 Type file and replaced the one that was already in the 'NW_Topo' Directory.  I used the bat file you have in a different post to clear the map cache so I could see the changes.

So, now in MapSource instead of the yellow and blue tints, I see white with green tints.  Easier to read than before (on my laptop at least).  Do the different colors actually mean something?  I'm guessing the greener the map, the more forested or maybe "National Forest Land"?  Looks like the Grey areas could be National Parks/RecArea boundaries?

I haven't loaded it to the 60CSx yet,  mabye I'll have some time tomorrow to see how it looks there...

Thanks.
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 08:31:28 pm »

You can hover over any polygon on the map and it will identify it for you. If the area has a name, it will give you the name; if it does not have a name, it will show you what category it is (i.e. National Park, Other State Land, etc.).

Jon
TheWinterTrio
Tenderfoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 12:23:10 pm »

Late reply on this one, but a few weeks ago I was up in the mountains again and the maps looked much better with the 256-color version.   Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: