Switchbacks Forums
October 23, 2019, 09:07:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Topos v0.27 now available (December 16, 2014)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Providing new routes for old trails  (Read 5135 times)
clubstew
Tenderfoot

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2013, 03:15:57 pm »

A friend and I hiked Dog Mountain last weekend and I found the trails in NW Trails (I think I grabbed mine around Aug 2012) were off quite a bit in a few areas (in some cases, the switchbacks were opposite). The geocaches along the way (which made mention of "right off the trail") confirmed my route.

At least in a couple of places, the old trails might've been just that: old trails. I saw what may have been remnants of trails long-since grown over.

So I'm wondering if it's possible to submit new routes for an existing trail?

Also - because I was geocaching along the way - there's a few paths I need to snip off for an accurate trail route. Any suggestions for apps that do this? Seems I can't do this in BaseCamp, or maybe I just missed a tool in it somewhere so any guidance would be great.

My route contains a full loop and part of another one. I'd probably trim off the latter. It was full of debris and deepening snow so we turned back and took the main trail - though I will say that the trail from NW Trails seemed to be accurate here so that leg probably wouldn't need to be removed from what's already in NW Trails).
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 05:10:42 pm »

The trails in the database come from a variety of sources. In the case of Dog Mountain, they were shapefiles obtained from the Forest Service back at the start of the project 5 years ago. Those sources are notoriously inaccurate - usually tracings made from much larger scale maps. Even if a trail has been recorded by GPS, though, things can change or the GPS could have been off, so I appreciate new recordings that provide better - or even just additional - data.

BaseCamp does allow editing. Just make sure that the Drawing Tools toolbar is enabled (View > Toolbars > Drawing Tools). Once enabled,it gives you the ability to insert, move and erase trackpoints and split the line. You can also double-click on a track to call up the properties, which lets you see a list of the points and edit them as needed.

Jon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: