Switchbacks Forums
July 12, 2020, 12:14:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Trails v1.80 now available (December 16, 2014)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is NWTrails still maintained?  (Read 16301 times)
worldzfree
Tenderfoot

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2014, 12:09:23 pm »

I have since moved from Seattle area to the Columbia River Gorge.  Would love to contribute to maps.  Is this mapset still maintained?
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 04:54:55 pm »

Yes it is! I was ready to come out with an update last spring when a bunch of data was dropped. I should have released what I had then, but instead I tried to plow through the new data and kept falling further and further behind due to an especially busy summer. I'm roughly 3/4 of the way to finishing up a new release and fully expect it to be done next month.

Jon
popop
Tenderfoot

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 08:09:51 pm »

Oops, just contributed to the delay with another submission! Wink
Alpine
Tenderfoot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 07:08:42 am »

Love your maps! Just for your information, the Forest Service and Idaho Parks and Recreation is going to have the ATV clubs re-GPS the trails in the Danskin Trail System this year (Danskin is between Mountain Home and Boise Idaho east of Hi-Way 84.

We just got done with re-signing the intersections, and a lot has changed since you included this trail system in your map. The trail system is used by motorcycle riders and ATVs (50" or less). I will let you know when we are done, and will submit to you the gpx files we generate.

A lot has changed and some trails re-routed, some deleted and or moved.

Again thanks for all your work, many people out here in the Northwest appreciate your work.

Derrill
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 07:39:45 am »

Excellent! Hopefully I will have topo maps for all of that area done soon, too!

Jon
BrianHovis
Tenderfoot

Picture of me looking at peak of Summit Lake

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 04:31:30 pm »

Hi, I have not contributed to the mapset for some time, but glad you are still working on it and that Switchbacks is still active. I will keep donating information.

Brian Hovis
worldzfree
Tenderfoot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 06:12:23 pm »

I have a pile of tracks I would love to contribute.  Is there a plan to release an updated mapset soon?
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 07:08:17 pm »

I'm still plugging away at the mapset, but my available time for it has been drastically curtailed of late due to living/commute arrangements, travel, and classes. Please continue to contribute, as I have no intentions of dropping the project!

Jon
andreh
Tenderfoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 02:15:23 pm »

Hello All,

I check back here often, hoping the maps get updated, but unfortunately they do not.  I've looked for a replacement compatible with Basecamp/Garmin, and the best I was able to find was http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/   

I've started using it for some of the newer trails being built, but I don't like it as much as NW Topos, so I still use NW Topos for older trails.

If you find something better, that works with Basecamp and Garmin's, please let us know. 

BTW-Thanks Moun10Bike for all you have done!
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 04:48:59 pm »

I'm still working on it, it's just that life is a lot more complicated these days! I can't promise when the next version will be released, but it's still being worked on.

Jon
andreh
Tenderfoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 08:13:11 pm »

Awesome, thanks for the update!
Cheminer Will
Wayfarer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 09:06:12 pm »

Glad to hear that you are still working on it!  I have used it for several years now and still even occasionally wear my Switchbacks sweatshirt when geocaching in cool weather.
Cheminer Will
Wayfarer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 03:18:09 pm »

I check back here often, hoping the maps get updated, but unfortunately they do not.  I've looked for a replacement compatible with Basecamp/Garmin, and the best I was able to find was http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/   

I've started using it for some of the newer trails being built, but I don't like it as much as NW Topos, so I still use NW Topos for older trails.
BTW-Thanks Moun10Bike for all you have done!

I too have been looking for a way to have the newer trails on my GPSr also. I love the Topo maps though so even though Open Street Maps have many newer trails, I don't find a way to use them and have the topo features. I wish I knew more about mapping and inserting tracks into maps so I could just add my tracks to NW Topos myself as I hike the trails that are not in there yet.
Cheminer Will
Wayfarer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 11:23:26 am »

Refreshing this question again as these maps are the best there are.  If the issue is the amount of work involved, maybe there is a way to share that with other mapping enthusiasts?  Or is the issue that with the advent of smart phone apps, many fewer people are using maps like these? It will be such a shame if the best we have in the future is OSM.  I have a bunch more trails ready to upload for you so I will do that in the hope of future updates.  But in the meantime Jon, are you able to provide us with a status update?  Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: