Switchbacks Forums
August 21, 2019, 01:04:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Topos v0.27 now available (December 16, 2014)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuff I forgot  (Read 4279 times)
kidtree
Tenderfoot

View Profile Email
« on: July 16, 2015, 09:29:59 am »

I'd been enjoying NW Topos for a couple of years and came to take it for granted until I had to replace my computer.  I downloaded the latest BaseCamp from Garmin, and loaded the latest NW Topos onto my GPS, but I couldn't get BaseCamp to see my newer, more comprehensive map.  I made do with Garmin's worldwide base map for a few months, stewing about being unable to load third-party maps into the program.
I finally figured out that I must be logged in to my computer as the admin user to install NW Topos.  If you normally use your computer as an ordinary user with reduced privileges (and you should, for security reasons), giving the admin password to install your new maps doesn't work.  You must actually be logged in as admin.  Or, at least I had to.  Then sign out and back in as a regular user, and revel in those beautiful maps.
Also, when I first opened NW Topos in BaseCamp, I was disappointed with the coarse, chunky contour lines.  I sometimes travel off-trail in the North Cascades, and these looked like a poor substitute for a real map.  Not to worry - it's an option that's easy to change.  In BaseCamp's View menu, go to Toolbars / Details.  A little list box will appear at the top-left of BaseCamp, set to Medium.  Change that to More Detailed, and your ugly, jagged map will change to a curvaceous beauty with enough clear, closely spaced contours to plan a route in the most entertaining terrain.  The Map options menu of the eTrex30 has the same setting options.  It's worth it.

Garmin eTrex30, BaseCamp on Windows 7
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 02:22:01 pm »

Thank you for posting your experiences!

Jon
Pages: [1]
  Print