Switchbacks Forums
November 22, 2018, 03:32:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Topos v0.27 now available (December 16, 2014)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Garmin 66s and 66st question  (Read 257 times)
Cheminer Will
Wayfarer

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2018, 09:18:29 pm »

I need to replace my aging and creaky 60CSx and am thinking that this new release might be the ticket.  (I am partial to buttons rather than touch screen on a GPSr for some reason, although I love my Pixel 2XL).  I am wondering whether to get the s or the st.  Will one or the other be better for loading the Switchbacks maps?
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 03:18:22 pm »

I'm fairly excited for this release, too! I've been using a touchscreen Oregon of some variety of flavor for the past several releases, but I'm liking the touchscreen functionality less and less. It's time to get back to buttons for me.

NW Trails/Topos should work fine on either model. I'm inclined to go with the st version since that includes a built-in DEM model, which allows for hillshading and elevation profiles of tracks that don't include elevation data.

Jon
Cheminer Will
Wayfarer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 11:20:58 am »

I have not had a GPSr with built in maps before but may go to the 66st if indeed the elevation relief is not on the 66s.

Will your NW Trails map just overlay the Garmin base map that comes on the 66st?

In our newest hiking area here, Forest Park in Jacksonville, there are several new trails and trail connectors that have been completed since the last version of NW Trails in 2014.  Will the next release of NW Trails pick up new trails like these of are you depending on user submitted tracks to include them?
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 02:36:14 pm »

Yes, NW Trails overlays the default mapset on the GPSMAP 66st (I have one and have been running the mapsets with no problems).

The next release of NW Trails will not have the new trails in your area unless they are reported and/or submitted by a user such as yourself. If you don't have GPS tracks of them, then I would need to know of a source for obtaining that data on them.

Jon
Cheminer Will
Wayfarer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 10:17:53 am »

Do you have a timeframe for the next release?  I do have some tracks although I was not thinking of possible map additions and only made them for sake of interest. I did not label them with the trail names so that may be an issue.  But over this winter I will be hiking more at the lower elevations that include all the new trails in Forest Park, Jacksonville, Oregon and will make tracks that include the trail names.
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 03:45:00 pm »

No, I don't have a timeframe for the next release.

Jon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: