Switchbacks Forums
December 22, 2014, 05:04:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Trails v1.80 now available (December 16, 2014)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Northwest Trails for DeLorme GPSr  (Read 6060 times)
DatCrazyMongoose
Tenderfoot

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2009, 09:16:46 am »

Hello everyone,

I use a DeLorme PN-20 and saw Totemlake's version. I was wondering if I could get some advice (more like a walkthrough) on how exactly to install it and getting working on the PN-20/Topo7. I'm sure other users might be interested as well.

Moun10bike, if you don't want this in your forums, go ahead and delete it. I'll just have to send Totemlake a PM on GC.com then.

Thanks,

'Goose

Caching makes me happy!!!
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 12:36:16 pm »

I've added this board and forum for DeLorme questions and answers.  I've sent an email to TotemLake notifying him of this thread.  Hopefully he'll chime in here; if not, give him a shout directly.

Jon
TotemLake
Wayfarer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 06:37:05 pm »

Hello everyone,

I use a DeLorme PN-20 and saw Totemlake's version. I was wondering if I could get some advice (more like a walkthrough) on how exactly to install it and getting working on the PN-20/Topo7. I'm sure other users might be interested as well.

Moun10bike, if you don't want this in your forums, go ahead and delete it. I'll just have to send Totemlake a PM on GC.com then.

Thanks,

'Goose

Hi Mongoose,

If you don't care for the color coding I used on the T7 lines, your best bet is to grab the text files I have posted on my website http://www.totemlake.org/downloads.htm and then you can import them into draw layers. For each segment you import, you have to set the line type and color first which means a lot of back and forth work. I use a word doc with a color template I want to use so it's easier to remember what I'm working with.

I can create GPX files, but T7 tends to choke on them when they get too big. Please post here if you have any questions. I'll be monitoring this forum from now on.

I'll put together a step-by-step in case this brief isn't good enough. The process is the same for T7 and T8 so it will take me a  little time.

Cheers!
TL
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 06:38:43 pm by TotemLake » Logged
TotemLake
Wayfarer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 08:21:39 pm »

Go to the draw tab and select the line tool, it doesn’t have to be a polygon or arc. What you’re doing is setting up the line type. Select the color, the style, and the width you are going to use. You should see the line style as you chose it in the Sample Line window.

Click the File… button then click the Import… button. Select the file type to txt. (IFyou want to import the T7 file, you’ll need to select the *.* type then look for the an1 file.)

Import the file of choice. In my case, I’m opening NWT_WA_LINES - Motorized Trails.txt.

When the file is finished importing the map will zoom out to display all of the trails you imported in that file. The Draw file list will have a new addition of the file you imported, and you can rename this to suit your needs. Zooming in will allow you to see the details of the trails you imported.

You can only import one file at a time. GPX files can be imported in multiples. But again, size is an issue with T7.

I will update my website with these step by step instructions with screenshots when I have more time.

Now you may ask yourself how do you gain these text files besides my site?
M10B generously makes them available to me to translate and post on my site so some of the bandwidth burden is shared.

Life has been getting in the way recently so I'm a little behind. I will try to get caught up after this month's HOTM.

Edited to add: You can delete the file from the saved location once it is imported. As the copy is now in the Delorme Documents folder.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 08:26:13 pm by TotemLake » Logged
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 09:08:50 pm »

Now you may ask yourself how do you gain these text files besides my site?
M10B generously makes them available to me to translate and post on my site so some of the bandwidth burden is shared.

TL, I now have unlimited bandwidth and disk space with this new hosting setup.  If you want, we could move the DeLorme files "back into the fold", so to speak.

Jon
TotemLake
Wayfarer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 09:12:41 pm »

I'm good with the suggestion to provide a single point of downloads for all users.
DatCrazyMongoose
Tenderfoot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 04:41:02 pm »

I'm sure your colors are fine.  I'm using the standard DeLorme topo and street colors.

Thanks for the help on setting this up.  When I get a few moments to myself, I'll try installing it on my PN-20.
I'll let you know how it goes.

'Goose

DatCrazyMongoose
Tenderfoot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 02:10:53 pm »

I just took some time to download the NWTP files and import them into Topo7.  I must say, it looks very helpful at first glance.  Thanks for all the time and effort you've put into this.

I'm just a newbie when it comes to GPSr use, and I only have the entry level PN-20, but I'd like to start recording my trail use and send them in.  They might not be the best, but it'll get me started with unlocking the full powers of my PN and Topo7.  Maybe then I can justify upgrading to a PN-40 or an Oregon.

Thanks again!

'Goose

TotemLake
Wayfarer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 08:50:37 pm »

Glad to hear it! M10B deserves all the credit. My reasons were selfish.  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: