Switchbacks Forums
October 01, 2014, 01:10:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Trails v1.79 now available (December 12, 2013)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Booth for Northwest Trails at Geowoodstock VIII?  (Read 2286 times)
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 09, 2009, 07:28:04 am »

GrnXnham suggested in the Groundspeak forums that Northwest Trails have a booth at Geowoodstock VIII.  I though that sounded like an interesting idea (as long as cost and setup isn't too much of an obstacle).  What do you think about that?  If I did have a booth, what do you think I should have available?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:46:41 pm by Moun10Bike » Logged

Jon
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 09:41:30 am »

Have at least one computer so people can look at the mapset(s).  The larger the screen the easier it would be for a group/crowd to see.

Have some of the static maps printed and on display.

Have a map/book/computer that people could list places that they know of trails that aren't in the DB.

Have some sort of a handout - card, fold card, or flyer - that people can take with the site info.

Possibly have a computer so people could download the mapset - the biggest problem is data cables for the different models of GPSr.

These are the ideas that popped out of my brain.

Beware of Geeks bearing Gadgets!
hydnsek
Tenderfoot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 12:10:14 pm »

Booth or session? Or both? GW7 had several 30-45 minutes sessions on topics like Wherigo, Twitter, GSAK, and Delorme. The advantage with sessions, of course, is that you can show-n-tell everyone the same thing at once, and answer questions to everyone's benefit. With a booth, seems like you'd be inundated with individual inquiries and hard-pressed to adequately respond to everyone, esp. those who might want details on getting a project started in their area.

I like Jester's ideas for the booth, tho. Maybe you could do both...I know several folks did both at GW7, including DeLorme and Cache Advance (Twitter session).

My 2 cents.
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 12:47:48 pm »

Thanks for the input, Abby.  I'll ping Lookout Lisa (Cache Advance) and see what she recommends.

Jon
AndrewRJ
Tenderfoot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 01:10:42 pm »

I was talking to troublejv at dinner at the cache machine about this.

Seems to me that the GW8 website should have a direct link to the trail set with something in bold saying "If you are coming to GW8 and plan on doing much caching here are trail maps to help you find the best route."

Personally I don't want to be doing search and rescue because someone can't find there way out of Told MacDonald.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: