Switchbacks Forums
October 23, 2014, 06:44:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Topos v0.26 now available (December 12, 2013)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Uncharted areas in Washington  (Read 2944 times)
GO West
Tenderfoot

Hurry, Slowly.

View Profile Email
« on: May 29, 2009, 09:20:17 pm »

I would like to see something like a top twenty-five list of places in Washington that need mapping for Northwest Trails. For instance, I've noticed that there are wide areas on Kitsap and Olympic Peninsula that have not been charted, but I discovered this only by fishing around.

If anyone can suggest good places to go mapping, this might be a good place to list them.

Hurry, Slowly.
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 09:25:02 pm »

I can work on showing a map that displays "verified" trails (which are those that have been mapped and confirmed with GPS).  That would be easy to do, but I'm not sure what zoom level/page size would be needed to make it easy to make out the detail for specific areas.  Thoughts?

Jon
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 02:44:33 pm »

I can work on showing a map that displays "verified" trails (which are those that have been mapped and confirmed with GPS).  That would be easy to do, but I'm not sure what zoom level/page size would be needed to make it easy to make out the detail for specific areas.  Thoughts?
That would be helpful.  Depending on how many trails are in the area (mtn bike trails are pretty tight, hiking trails are farther apart) the amount of detail would vary. 

Having a list of areas people know about unmapped trails (or even a section on the trail report form to indicate additional trails are in the area) would be very nice.

Beware of Geeks bearing Gadgets!
MtnMutt
Wayfarer

I'm not lost, I just cannot be found!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 07:44:05 pm »

There numerous trails along the Middle Fork which are not documented. Then with the Middle Fork Closed for Bridge repair it would be difficult.
Mt Washington area to the east is numerous trails or should I say Game trails.
Humpback trail is another example of not documented. I inadvertently deleted all that information from my GPS. Next time I'll be sure I save it for you. Roll Eyes
_Shaddow_
Tenderfoot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 03:12:24 pm »

Hello Everyone

I'm not clear if the map would be for the GPS or PC: for the GPS all the levels below 0.8 miles would work best for me as I wouldn't be able to see anything on a larger scale. For the PC I would make use of the larger scales when searching for areas to investigate.

Is it possible to change the color of unverified trails (gray?) and leave the rest as is?

There numerous trails along the Middle Fork which are not documented. Then with the Middle Fork Closed for Bridge repair it would be difficult.
Mt Washington area to the east is numerous trails or should I say Game trails.
Humpback trail is another example of not documented. I inadvertently deleted all that information from my GPS. Next time I'll be sure I save it for you. Roll Eyes

I image it's somewhat of a Cache 22 for the unmapped areas since to know where the trails are is also to have a source of information to use to recreate maps; so then its just a matter of verifying those trails? A lot of the places I've found to hike I've become aware of through geocaching and the existing NW Trail maps. I'd love to go lay down some new tracks if I knew where to go; I'm all for a list but I think its going to be a matter of getting that information from someone that's already been there.

Sometimes I don't have the time or energy to finish mapping trails in an area so make a note of the locations so I can return later; if we could include that information on the map set, along with the unverified trails, it would go a long way for us to pick up where others have left off. Otherwise without that information, it appears that an area is fully mapped. I ran into this situation just yesterday at Lord Hill Park; the park looked fully mapped probably because people tend to walk in loops rather then out and back. And if the trail is partially tracked out and back, it will appears as a deadend and I'll probably avoid.  It could be marked with something simple; perhaps just a way point titled 'trail continues' but it'd be better to have an arrow that really draw the attention.
MtnMutt
Wayfarer

I'm not lost, I just cannot be found!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 03:41:40 pm »

Today, I used the latest update for Humpback and found that this is not the original for it.
This new Trail is not as steep as the 'Original'.
I later found that the 'OHT' had been cut off by numerous wind falls.
Thanks to 40-n-8 for the new addition.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: