Switchbacks Forums
October 30, 2014, 08:59:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Topos v0.26 now available (December 12, 2013)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Northwest Topos early beta now available  (Read 1608 times)
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 21, 2009, 09:18:15 am »

Hey all,

I finally got the initial cut at Northwest Topos posted.  I'm sorry it took so long; every time that I generated it, I ran into some issue that I wanted to fix before releasing.  I finally decided that I just needed to post it anyways or I'd never get it out!

Please keep in mind that this should be considered an early beta, so you will see a number of issues and it is incomplete.  I will add map tiles regularly as I generate them and should hopefully have all of Washington covered within a month or so.  At that time I will create a download page for the mapset and consider it "out of beta".  Right now, these are the tiles that are included:

• Seattle E
  • Seattle W
  • Tacoma E
  • Tacoma W
  • Skykomish River E
  • Skykomish River W
  • Snoqualmie Pass E
  • Snoqualmie Pass W
  • Coeur d'Alene E
  • Coeur d'Alene W
  • Spokane E
  • Spokane W

First, let me go through a couple of the known issues:

• Puget Sound would refuse to render in Mapsource until I changed the type from "ocean" to "large lake".  I am unsure still what might be the cause for this.  I don't think that this will cause any issues for anything, but let me know if you run into something.
  • There is a noticeable gap between map tiles that splits the roads and areas along those borders.  This is the issue I have been most focused on correcting recently but haven't made any headway.  I will continue to work on it.
  • Areas of ground that have no specified area type associated with them (like National Forest, City Park, etc.) are showing up as "Unknown Area".  They should just be blank when hovering over them.  I am trying to find a solution to this.

Here are some of the things you can help me with:

• Check out the visibility levels of various data types and let me know your feedback on the levels I chose.  Does the data you want to see show up at the levels you need?
  • Check out layering and let me know if things that should be "over" other areas is appearing "under" them or vice versa.  Each data type has to have it's level specified and there are no doubt places where I have things backward.
  • Do you see any missing data, such as missing lake or river polygons?
  • The National Hydrology Dataset (NHD) data for lakes, rivers and streams is great, but not perfect.  Do you see any lakes that should actually be wetlands?
  • The NHD data has many areas designated as lake or river polygons but that are not - for example, see the Pratt River area where it flows in to the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River.  It looks like a big lake there when it should be stream.  These areas need to be identified and I will have to convert them to the proper type.
  • Many of the larger rivers are unnamed in the NHD data.  If you see a river (or anything else) that has a name but shows up as generic in the map, please let me know.
  • The data for public land that I got from the Washington State DNR has a lot of undesignated public land - i.e. land that has no name or area type in the original data.  I have designated all of this as "Washington State DNR Land", but in many cases that I've found these are actually city parks, county land, etc.  If you see an unnamed or misdesignated polygon, please let me know.
  • I have data from many different sources in the mapset.  While I tried my best to remove duplicates and clean up overlaps, there is just so much data that I could only do a fraction of the cleanup.  Please let me know if you see an obvious error.

Downloads:

Thank you!!

Jon
MtnMutt
Wayfarer

I'm not lost, I just cannot be found!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 07:33:33 pm »

Mac Version looks very nice in RoadTrip...  Thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: