Switchbacks Forums
September 16, 2014, 06:29:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Trails v1.79 now available (December 12, 2013)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Report Northwest Topos Map Errors Here!  (Read 14067 times)
savant9
Trekker

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2010, 11:05:49 am »

I am loving the additions of BC!!
Question for you though, Jon.  In mapsource, I am not seeing some tiles displayed at various zoom levels.  I have cleared the "tilecache" and loaded different maps but consistently I still see the same sections missing at different zoom levels.  Is this just me or can you reproduce this?  I have included a video so you can see what I mean.

Click the image and view it full screen.

-Jeff
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2010, 11:23:49 am »

That looks very much like a map caching issue.  You'll note that at some levels you are missing everything that is new in this release, while the tiles present in the previous release show up consistently.

You mention clearing the tile cache.  Where are you doing this?  In Windows 7, the location is:

C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\MapSource\TileCache

Are you seeing anything in this folder?

Jon
savant9
Trekker

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2010, 02:02:06 pm »

I am running XP Pro, I am deleting the files that are in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\GARMIN\MapSource\TileCache\

If I leave that directory open while navigating, I see that it keeps writing new files there, so I think I am doing the right ones.
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2010, 02:27:46 pm »

Hmm, I'm not sure then.  I can say that I'm not seeing the behavior that you are, but as a longtime software tester I know that has little meaning! Smiley

Please let me know if the issue persists; I'm still hoping that it is some kind of caching issue and will eventually correct itself.

Jon
savant9
Trekker

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2010, 06:13:58 pm »

Well, I'll just chock it up to mapsource being buggy.  The maps work fine on my GPS so thats all that matters to me, but I'll let you know if I fix it or if it fixes itself.
savant9
Trekker

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2010, 06:18:14 pm »

@ N49 05.626 W122 33.446 it appears to indicate water, this is actually a sports field.  Google maps also indicates it the same way ( I have sent in an error report to them as well)  I have lived here for over 35 years, and there has never been water there.  Cheesy

BTW the tile caching issue I was having has magically resolved itself.
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2010, 07:01:09 pm »

Any chance that is a park capping an underground reservoir?  We have a few of those in my area and the data always shows as open water.

I'm glad that your display issue has been fixed!  I wish that MapSource was a bit more robust.

Jon
savant9
Trekker

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2010, 08:54:55 pm »

Well it was an active gravel pit until ~1975 and then it was reclaimed as a park/sports field. There is no city water supply in this area, but who knows.  I asked my dad who has lived here even longer and he says the same.  The contour lines accurately represent the hole that is that region.
QuigleyJones
Tenderfoot

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2010, 10:29:14 pm »

Was curious so I looked it up and theres no reservoir, but apparently a water "sampling station" (geo-referenced to the center of the field)
Gsnorgathon
Trekker

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2011, 08:49:14 pm »

I've been poking around the Stevens Pass area; a bunch of lakes have their POIs not quite right: Susan Jane, Josephine, Mig, Hope, Grass, Trap...

Some of the lakes (Grass and Trap, at least) are labeled, *and* have POIs (meaning there's a wee blue square with a white outline). Is there a reason they should have both?

There's a POI for Lake Murphy and another one for Murphy Lakes that are on the same lake - maybe the Murphy Lakes POI should be moved to the lake just north of Lake Murphy? Or between the two? It would make things a bit less cluttered.

Meanwhile, on the Iron Goat Trail, Tunnel #14 West Portal should be N47.72517 W121.20401, and the East Portal should be N47.72445 W121.20311.

The POI for Tye should be just north of the Wellington Parking Lot (N47.74726 W121.12773 or thereabouts), and should be Wellington/Tye. I suppose if you wanted to start including historical info, it could be labeled Wellington (1893 - 1910) / Tye (1910 - 1929).
gunghobee
Wayfarer

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2011, 12:54:52 pm »

BLM surface management (ownership) maps use standard colors to depict ownership: BLM is yellow, USFS as green, State as blue and private as white. See: http://www.blm.gov/or/gis/geoscience/files/B11_burns_BacaLake.pdf  for an example. When viewed in Mapsource, NW Topos faithfully depicts USFS, BLM and private. State properties are a side issue-not showing up at all as State-owned. When viewed on my 60Cx and on a borrowed Oregon 550, BLM is white. Is this because of the transparent nature of the maps, with yellow being the background color? Are there any work-arounds I can do to make the map look in Garmin the same as what I see in Mapsource?

In Mapsource and on the Garmins, BLM wilderness boundaries disappear when zoomed in and blend in with adjacent BLM lands, but the labels remain. To view an example in Mapsource, set the scale to 10 miles, and detail setting to highest, then go to N44 W121. You’ll see the Oregon Badlands Wilderness. If you zoom in to 7 miles, the boundary is gone, but the BLM detail is introduced. However the USFS boundaries are present no matter the scale. Anyway to show BLM at all scales and to show wilderness as its own color to preserve the boundaries? The link above shows wilderness as a different shade of yellow, for example.

Also, have you considered adding BLM Wilderness Study Areas to NW Topo? If you are interested here is where you can get the data:
Idaho (shapefile): http://cloud.insideidaho.org/webApps/metadataViewer/default.aspx?path=G%3a\data\anonymous\blm\BDY_WSA_PUB_24K_POLY.shp.xml
Oregon & Washington (File geodatabase ver. 9.3):
As polylines: http://www.blm.gov/or/gis/data-details.php?data=ds000076
As polygons: http://www.blm.gov/or/gis/data-details.php?data=ds000075
Montana (shapefile or .E00):
http://www.blm.gov/mt/st/en/res/public_room/gis/data/montana.html

I have some data submissions in the works. Thanks for a great product!
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2011, 01:12:42 pm »

NW Topos is not transparent, so that would not be the issue behind things like BLM land showing up as white.  Are you using the 256-color typeset during map install?  If not, I suggest you try it; if you are, then I need to make some adjustments to the colors that I am specifying for the various land types. This is likely also the cause of what you are seeing with wilderness vs. BLM land.

It will be easy to change out the display level for BLM land and can get that process started soon.

I believe that I have wilderness study areas in the project, but have them in as BLM land as opposed to wilderness.  I'll have to double-check, and in the process will make sure that I have all of the data included in your links.

Thanks!  I've really appreciated your submissions!

Jon
gunghobee
Wayfarer

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2011, 10:32:55 pm »

Thanks for your response, Jon.

I did try the 256-color typeset by re-installing with this option, but no change was observed.

I also looked around at nearby wilderness study areas and saw none in the dataset, either visible or simply as labels as mentioned previously. So they do not appear to be included in the current version of NWT. At least for Oregon.

Thank you for your responsiveness and for such a useful dataset. Wonderful stuff!
atlas cached
Tenderfoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2011, 06:04:29 pm »

This information was also emailed while I waited for membership approval.

NW TOPO v0.18

Error #1:

Kamiak High School [ N47 53.820 W122 18.237 ].

This is a duplicate waypoint with incorrect coordinates, and simply needs to be deleted.

The correct existing waypoint is located [ N47 54.076 W122 18.114 ].

Error #2:

Columbia Elementary School [ N47 53.676 W122 18.496 ].

This is a duplicate waypoint with incorrect coordinates, and simply needs to be deleted.

The correct existing waypoint is located [ N47 54.160 W122 18.266 ].
Gsnorgathon
Trekker

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2012, 03:58:49 pm »

There's  POI for Railroad Grade on Mt. Baker at about N48 43.824 W121 49.409; it should be on the ridge just west of the Easton Glacier. N48 43.824 W121 50.464 would be about right.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: