Switchbacks Forums
September 18, 2014, 08:46:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Topos v0.26 now available (December 12, 2013)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trail mapping as an exercise program.  (Read 4143 times)
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2009, 03:28:30 pm »

Over the last year+ that I've been mapping trails, I've been using the time as part of my weight loss program.  I started out at about 270 pounds and carried a small fanny pack with about 12-15 pounds.  As my weight dropped, my pack weight gone up:  first to about 35 pounds, now I'm at 55 pounds.  I've got to the point I hardly notice the pack (once it's on, I still don't like getting it on) and so leave it on when searching for geocaches (an added bonus to trail mapping!  Cheesy).  My weight's down to 195 pounds (about the same weight I was when I got married many years ago) and am in better shape than ever.

Occasionally I've used ankle weight (along with or instead of the pack).  Years ago the Army did a study and found that taking one pound of the boots was the same as taking 5 pounds off the pack.  Recently they found that was incorrect - it's actually the same as taking 6 pounds off the pack.  Ankle weights are great training for snowshoeing and climbing (both add extra weight to the feet= snowshoes or crampons).  So, using 3lb ankle weights and my pack, it's like I'm carrying 90 pounds - without the stress of that much weight on my body.

So I now can tell the wife I'm not out 'playing', but getting the exercise that I need!  Grin

Beware of Geeks bearing Gadgets!
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 04:14:21 pm »

I love this story!  Thanks for sharing your experience, Craig!

Jon
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 07:55:17 pm »

Of course, exercise isn't the only reason I like mapping trails.  I got into caching because it takes me to new places.  Mapping trails does the same thing - I head out on a new-to-me trail sometimes with little or no idea where it will take me.  Of course, when I find myself at the end of the trail and it's 4.5 miles back to the car - uphill!!! - I'm not always the happiest person...  Wink  But when I find that unexpected view, it's all worth it. 

DatCrazyMongoose
Tenderfoot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 05:12:35 pm »

I agree that getting out on the trail is a great way to get/keep in shape. I came back from my last deployment 25 lbs lighter and in better shape than I've been in 10 years. Normally, I would have started gaining it back, but thanks to geocaching, I've been out hiking, biking and running in my spare time.
'Goose

Caching makes me happy!!!
OBE
Tenderfoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 02:50:39 pm »

Congrats on the weight loss. I wouldn't reconize you without your hat.  Cheesy
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 07:56:19 pm »

Congrats on the weight loss. I wouldn't reconize you without your hat.  Cheesy
I may have to find a smaller one.  But then, weight loss doesn't slim a swollen head!  Grin

GrnXnham
Wayfarer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 11:53:53 pm »

I've lost 40 pounds and my wife lost 80 pounds. We've kept it off for two years now.

Much or our success we owe to hiking many miles on weekends. In the last couple of years most of our hiking miles have been on trails that were mapped by others and submitted to this website. We've only submitted something to Jon twice in that time, but we would sure like to thank The Jester and all the others who have submitted maps far more than we have. Jester--not only have you lost weight, you are helping others to lose weight as well!

Many of the trails we would not have known about without these maps. Sometimes, before a weekend, I just pan around the maps on my GPSr looking for trails that we haven't hiked, yet. Then we load up the geocaches on those trails and take off on Saturday.

The NW Trails maps have been by far our most beneficial tool since we started caching 7 years ago.

Thank you, everyone!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: