Switchbacks Forums
November 22, 2018, 03:23:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Trails v1.80 now available (December 16, 2014)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Northwest Trails v1.53 Now Available  (Read 20369 times)
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 03, 2010, 12:56:30 pm »

Happy New Year!  I figured I'd kick off the end of the holiday season with a new release of Northwest Trails.  This is the first one to include Alberta data!

Please let me know if you run into any issues.

Version 1.53 (January 3, 2010)

* Added trails of Alberta from data taken with permission from the Southern Alberta Trail Mapping Project
    * Added connector trail between Beaver Lake Preserve and Hazel Wolf Wetlands and adjusted Ann's Walking Trail in Hazel Wolf Wetlands (Sammamish, WA)
    * Data courtesy of The Jester:
          o Tunnel Mtn Hoodoos Trail (Banff National Park, AB)
          o Corrections, adjustments and additions to roads and trails on Real Life Church property near Lake Sawyer (Black Diamond, WA)
          o Verification of trails in the northern half of Luther Burbank Park (Mercer Island, WA)
          o Verification of and adjustments to trails in Mercerdale Hillside Park (Mercer Island, WA)
          o Verification of and adjustments to trails at Homestead Field (Mercer Island, WA)
          o Verification of and adjustments to trails in Island Crest Park (Mercer Island, WA)
          o Verification of and adjustments to trails in SE 53rd Open Space (Mercer Island, WA)
          o Verification of and adjustments to Parkwood Ridge Trail (Mercer Island, WA)
          o Trails in Groveland Beach Park (Mercer Island, WA)
    * Data courtesy of sparklehorse:
          o Tryon Creek State Park (Portland, OR)
    * Data courtesy of thebudman:
          o Campion Park (Spokane, WA)
    * Data courtesy of hydnsek:
          o Adjustments to roads and trails in southern end of Capitol State Forest (near Olympia, WA)
    * Data courtesy of Inversion:
          o Additional trails in Tualatin Hills Nature Park (Portland, OR)
    * Data courtesy of MaliBooBoo:
          o Cypress Hills Provincial Park (near Medicine Hat, AB)
          o Alberta West Country Trails
          o Trans Canada Trail through Alberta
    * Data courtesy of lucyandrickie:
          o Sawmill Trail (Aldergrove, BC)
          o Additional data for the Redmond Watershed (Redmond, WA)
          o Stillwater Bog Natural Area (Snoqualmie Ridge, WA)
          o Adjustments to the Snoqualmie Falls Boardwalk (Snoqualmie, WA)
          o Confirmation of a portion of the Middle Fork Trail (near North Bend, WA)
          o Wilmot Gateway Park (Woodinville, WA)
          o Trails in a Fish & Wildlife Natural Area near Marblemount, WA
          o Verification of and adjustments to several trails and roads in the Pilchuck Tree Farm, Victoria Tract (near Stanwood, WA)
          o Verification of the lower Gold Creek Trail (near Snoqualmie Pass, WA)
    * Data courtesy of skifast:
          o Bella Vista and Meadow Trail at Silver Star Mountain (near Vernon, BC)
    * Data courtesy of savant9:
          o Additional trail at Aldergrove Lake Regional Park (near Aldergrove, BC)
    * Data courtesy of MarcusArelius:
          o Roads and trails around Camp Brinkley (near Monroe, WA)
          o Adjustments and corrections to trails on South Tiger Mountain (near Issaquah, WA)
    * Data courtesy of Teddy2k:
          o Lower portion of the Hayward Lake Trail (near Mission, BC)
          o Pioneer Trail (near Mission, BC)
    * Data courtesy of Gsnorgathon:
          o Evergreen Trail and West Loop Interpretive Trail at Rockport State Park (Rockport, WA), plus a map from which additional trails in the park were digitized
    * Data courtesy of Jeff Sillick:
          o Eddye McClure Trail in the Helena South Hills (near Helena, MT)

Jon
TotemLake
Wayfarer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 01:59:14 pm »

Happy New Year back at ya!

I perused your site prior to this post and I'm not seeing a link for the Txt files. So I tried working with the download link you provided last month for the text file, adjusting the increment for the new version and I'm getting an error. http://www.switchbacks.com/maps/downloads/NW_Trails_v1.53_DeLorme.zip

A new pointer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Greg
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 02:09:00 pm »

I'm hesitant to publicly post the link for the text files - Ben at Redtrails.com likely wouldn't want that any more than he did the GPX link I used to provide.

Drop the "maps" portion of the link to access the .zip file (sorry, I neglected to mention that I rearranged the layout of the site during the conversion to ASP.net and this broke the usual path to the download).

Jon
TotemLake
Wayfarer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 03:51:12 pm »

I kind of figured that might have been why the link isn't there. I was just trying to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks for the new pointer!
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 09:46:15 am »

I'd really like to make the process for the DeLorme version more streamlined.  Any suggestions on how to make it easier and more straightforward for users without potentially upsetting the apple cart with Redtrails.com?

Jon
TotemLake
Wayfarer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 09:15:21 pm »

I'm working on a new web page to post on my Comcast or Wix.com account. I'm planning on providing an imbedded link which I'll update the version number when I see your posts.
savant9
Trekker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 11:21:28 pm »

Not sure if my Colorado is acting strangely or this new build has altered zoom levels, but I can still see all the trails when out at the maximum zoom of 800km.

The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 10:02:31 am »

You bragging or complaining?  Grin Grin Grin

Beware of Geeks bearing Gadgets!
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 10:08:34 am »

I'm wondering if a firmware update is responsible.  I'm seeing the same thing on my Oregon 550t right now.  In Mapsource, however, the trails are disappearing out beyond 7 miles on medium detail as expected.

If this isn't corrected in a firmware revision or two, I'll have to revise the zoom levels to guarantee that the trails disappear when zoomed out.

Jon
Fox
Wayfarer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 12:24:49 am »

I'm wondering if a firmware update is responsible.  I'm seeing the same thing on my Oregon 550t right now.  In Mapsource, however, the trails are disappearing out beyond 7 miles on medium detail as expected.

If this isn't corrected in a firmware revision or two, I'll have to revise the zoom levels to guarantee that the trails disappear when zoomed out.

I'm seeing the same thing on my GPSmap 60Cx..  I unzoom to 200mi and I still see the trails being drawn...  I am not sure if this was present before.  I also only see Washington, since I don't load everything from mapsource (just what I need).

Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 05:25:30 pm »

I'm not sure why the change then.  It is possible that this change is due to my recent upgrade of cGPSmapper to the latest version (cGPSmapper is the application that compiles the data into the GPS-friendly format).

How critical is an immediate fix of this?  It probably would have taken me months to discover it as I never zoom out much further than 5 miles or so.

Jon
savant9
Trekker

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 06:24:50 pm »

A fix is not important to me.  I would have never noticed it either, except my kid was playing with the scroll wheel on my GPS and had zoomed all the way out...  Angry  The problem may have even been there in the last build, I cant say for sure.
Fox
Wayfarer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 08:23:32 pm »

How critical is an immediate fix of this?  It probably would have taken me months to discover it as I never zoom out much further than 5 miles or so.

Not a big deal, I wouldn't have noticed it either if I didn't see the post on here..

When do you plan the next update?  I have a track I want to submit, but it is not complete and I would rather submit the whole thing at once instead of in pieces, but I would like to see it on the next release if I can get it in on time..

Thanks
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 11:54:50 pm »

I'm not sure why the change then.  It is possible that this change is due to my recent upgrade of cGPSmapper to the latest version (cGPSmapper is the application that compiles the data into the GPS-friendly format).

The change happened with v1.44.  I'm a pack rat, and never throw files away, so I regressed NW Trails by jumps and then narrowed it farther until I didn't see it in v1.43, but did in v1.44 (if all you load is NW Trails it just takes seconds to download).

I don't think it's a big deal, I seldom zoom that far out (I can see trails at 500 miles - max - on my 60csx).

Beware of Geeks bearing Gadgets!
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 09:54:51 am »

Thanks for tracking that down, Jester.  I guess my memory is going - that's when I removed the display restrictions on the trails so that they would intentionally show at all levels after a couple of complaints from people who wanted to see them at lower zoom levels.  I guess I forgot about that fact since they still disappear in Mapsource.

Jon
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: