Switchbacks Forums
June 26, 2019, 02:50:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Trails v1.80 now available (December 16, 2014)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Overlay northwest topo on Oregon 400t with us 100k topo preloaded  (Read 8229 times)
Static
Tenderfoot

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2010, 12:00:08 am »

I am so excited to find this site and the northwest topo map.  Exactly what I have been looking for for my Oregon 400t.  I have downloaded northwest topo to mapsource on my computer.  Can I overlay on my Oregon with preloaded us topo without damaging the preloaded software?  I just want to have the trails show up on top of the preloaded topo.  Can anyone help with answers and also how to?
Thanks
Static
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 09:50:45 am »

Yes, you can upload any of the maps here to your Oregon with no problems.  The built-in topo map on the Oregon has a different file name from the image file that is by default created by the installation of these mapsets.

Keep in mind that Northwest Topos (still incomplete, btw) is not a transparent mapset, so it will not overlay trails on your built-in topo.  For that, you want to install Northwest Trails instead, which is a transparent mapset.  Simply install Northwest Trails, launch Mapsource with your GPS connected to your computer, then upload the state(s) or province(s) of your choice to your GPS.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Jon
Static
Tenderfoot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 12:59:28 pm »

Thank you so much for the info.  I am excited to give it a try.  One other question came to mind-Can the Northwest Trails overlay be removed once it is loaded to the gps?
Thanks again.
Static
Static
Tenderfoot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 04:17:41 pm »

Can the nw trails overlay be removed from Oregon 400t one it is loaded on top of us topo 100k?
Thanks
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 04:32:10 pm »

Yes, it creates a file named "gmapsupp.img" in the \Garmin directory of your internal memory or your memory card of your GPS (wherever you elect to send the map during upload).  Any mapsets you send via Mapsource get this name by default.  Any subsequent map uploads from Mapsend will overwrite this file.  If you wish to keep the file from being overwritten, you can rename it to something else (provided you have the latest firmware for your Oregon installed on it).  To delete it all together, you just remove the file.

Jon
Static
Tenderfoot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 07:36:01 pm »

Thank you for excellent info.  I will try to upload to my Oregon this wknd.
Great site.  Will pass it on.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: