Switchbacks Forums
September 23, 2014, 03:18:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Trails v1.79 now available (December 12, 2013)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Combining Garmin NW Topo with NW Trails  (Read 5031 times)
Fox
Wayfarer

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2010, 12:48:40 pm »

I have the Garmin Topo Northwest 24k (Washington and Oregon)..  Unfortunately it only comes on an SDCard, so I have no way to load it into MapSource..  Thus I can't combine the NW Trails with this map as an overlay.. Or can I?  Is it possible to load the Garmin Topo IMG on the SDCard into Mapsource?  Or maybe I can hack the IMG file? 

I like the Garmin Topo maps since the elevation lines are very detailed..  Great for hiking and biking..  I just can't use it with the NW Trails..

Any help appreciated..
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 10:16:21 am »

It depends on what GPS you have.  If you are using one that has internal memory as well as a memory card, then you can place NW Trails in the internal memory.  Also, if you have a Colorado, Oregon or Dakota (and possibly other models, although I'm not sure which) and have the latest firmware update, you can rename the image files on the unit and still have the unit recognize them.  Just be aware that when uploading maps, the default name given to the image file is "gmapsupp.img", so if a file with that name already exists in the destination location, it will be overwritten.

Jon
Fox
Wayfarer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 09:17:31 pm »

It depends on what GPS you have.  If you are using one that has internal memory as well as a memory card, then you can place NW Trails in the internal memory.  Also, if you have a Colorado, Oregon or Dakota (and possibly other models, although I'm not sure which) and have the latest firmware update, you can rename the image files on the unit and still have the unit recognize them.  Just be aware that when uploading maps, the default name given to the image file is "gmapsupp.img", so if a file with that name already exists in the destination location, it will be overwritten.

I have the 60cx, so I can't do multiple maps..  The big thing is to use the NWtrails on top of the garmin topo, that would be nice, but I would need to load the garmin topo into mapsource,which I can not do.  I thought I read somewhere that someone was able to convert an IMG file (what garmin gives me) into a mapsource readable map..

Oh well, I thought I would float it and see what I got..

Thanks
mtnresqr
Tenderfoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 01:46:58 am »

you could try a procedure outlined in some FAQ I found, about "using preloaded maps from Garmin Oregon 400t into Mapsource".

You get acopy of Garmin "Trips and Waypoints", and install onto PC that has Mapsorce also. then: 1) verify that directory exists, C:\Garmin\TRIPWPT4|, and contains a file named TRIPWPT4.img.  2) rename that TRIPWPT4.img file, to TRIPWPT4.old.   3) Connect GPS tp PC and copy map file from GPS "GPS(drive):\Garmin\gmapprom.img to C:\Garmin\TRIPWPT4\ directory. Can take over an hour, since it's a big file, 1+ GB).  4) rename C:\Garmin\TRIPWPT4\gmapprom.img to TRIPWPT4.img.  5) start Mapsource, and select map from upper left corner of "Trips and Waypoint v4". You will be viewing the copied file in Mapsource.

sometimes it looks strange but just needs attention to the map layers in Mapsource. I did this procedure on a NUVI 250, copying its internal map file, and seeing that complete CityNavigator map in Mapsource.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: