Switchbacks Forums
October 19, 2018, 02:43:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Topos v0.27 now available (December 16, 2014)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Making your own maps  (Read 13812 times)
Fox
Wayfarer

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2010, 12:54:52 pm »

Jon,

I was a little bored last night so I started playing around with cGpsMapper, MapEdit, and MapSetToolKit..

I managed convert/create and load a map from my gpx tracks..  But the trail lines don't stand out enough on my GPS..  Do you know how to change the trail line colors, and make them dashed vs solid?  What settings do you use?

From what I read you have to modify the TYP file??

Also, what Tools do you use to make the NW Trails?  Maybe I should have asked that first..

Thanks
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 10:21:46 am »

Yes, the .typ file is what is used to customize the look of any line, area or point type.  There are reasonably good instructions and tutorials on the cGPSmapper web site and in the download.  They include example .typ files that you can modify.  One things I learned only through trial and error is that you *must* specify day and night colors for any type, even if you want the type to look the same in both situations.  Otherwise, you get strange effects or it doesn't work at all.  The instructions are not clear on this and I think even have some examples lacking both sets of colors.

I use cGPSmapper, GPSMapEdit, ArcMap and Global Mapper as my primary tools for data maintenance and map creation.

Jon
Fox
Wayfarer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 09:14:08 pm »

Yes, the .typ file is what is used to customize the look of any line, area or point type.  There are reasonably good instructions and tutorials on the cGPSmapper web site and in the download.  They include example .typ files that you can modify.  One things I learned only through trial and error is that you *must* specify day and night colors for any type, even if you want the type to look the same in both situations.  Otherwise, you get strange effects or it doesn't work at all.  The instructions are not clear on this and I think even have some examples lacking both sets of colors.

I use cGPSmapper, GPSMapEdit, ArcMap and Global Mapper as my primary tools for data maintenance and map creation.

Ok..  Cool thanks..  I will play around with it next time I'm bored..  I got the basics working, which is good enough for right now..
ruger
Tenderfoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 08:07:51 pm »

Where can I get these programs?
Thank you
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 11:08:33 am »

Thank you

Each has their own dedicated web site:

Be prepared for sticker shock on some of these applications!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:37:01 pm by Moun10Bike » Logged

Jon
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 05:10:47 pm »

Thank you

Each has their own dedicated web site:

Be prepared for sticker shock on some of these applications!
Your link for Global Mpper is the home page of swtchbacks.com...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:37:19 pm by Moun10Bike » Logged

Beware of Geeks bearing Gadgets!
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 05:37:54 pm »

Your link for Global Mpper is the home page of swtchbacks.com...

Doh!  Thanks; I've fixed the links.

Jon
TotemLake
Wayfarer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 02:53:36 pm »

It looks like cGPSmapper is losing support at the end of 2010.
EricPeterson
Tenderfoot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 11:00:01 am »

I'm assuming the only colors one can pick from are in the 16 bit range?

Was hoping my Garmin GPS Map 62 was more than 16 bit and have been trying to stick HTML color codes in the .typ file
without any success, lol.

Very helpful forum guys, thanks! Smiley
EricPeterson
Tenderfoot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 02:50:44 pm »

Been playing with this all day again and having mild success.

Anyway the creator of NW Topos could enlighten me as to how you got your trails to show up
as red?

Weird thing is my changes look fine in Mapsource but they never look right in the GPS Map62s Sad

Makes no sense really...
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 05:27:15 pm »

Type files use hex color codes (for example, #ffffff for white), not HTML color codes. However, some units (older ones generally) only accept a 246-color palette. I don't believe that this is the case for newer units like the 62s, though.

Are you saying that you are using one of my provided type files and failing to get the expected red color, or are trying to create your own type file? If the latter, are you encoding the proper map ID into the file so that the GPS knows to use it with the mapset?

Jon
EricPeterson
Tenderfoot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 08:34:05 am »

Thank you Jon, I was just not clicking yes in MapsetToolKit editor to change the FID in my .typ files and happened to
click yes to that when I loaded one of your .typ files into my mapset and everything showed up fine in my 62s. I thought
since I could see my changes in Mapsourse that it should have also transferred to my 62s but never did so I was going crazy. Cheesy

Only problem now is your trail polyline still looks smaller in my 62s than my exact same polyline, mine look just slightly larger
in my 62s so now I have been trying to figure that out, heheh. Both mine and your polylines are 3 pixels high and I am using the
same border color, just trying different colors for the inside pixels and my trail polylines always still look wider on my GPS unit.
Also, I am using 0x16, Pathway/Trail as my polyline type.

This whole thing is proving to be quite the adventure, you must have spent a lot of time on your gigantic NW Topo's mapset!! Smiley

Thanks again
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: