Switchbacks Forums
September 01, 2014, 06:37:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Trails v1.79 now available (December 12, 2013)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Data upload page now ready  (Read 4329 times)
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 23, 2009, 10:20:42 am »

Hey all,

I've finished the data upload page - no more need to email me each time you want to submit a track!

Switchbacks Data Submission Upload

The page is set up to email me to let me know when a submission has been made.  All of the data that is entered on the page (notes, location, etc.) is included in that email to me and also saved as a file accompanying the uploaded data.

Please check it out and give me your feedback and suggestions!

Jon
savant9
Trekker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 05:20:06 pm »

Yay!! I should have some more tracks ready to upload soon.  I did click through your link and that looks very nice.  Hopefully it will encourage more lazy people to upload tracks, as it cant get any simpler than that.  Great work.
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 05:41:01 pm »

_Shaddow_ was already able to break the page, but I've been able to fix it.  There is a default limit to upload size built into ASP.net and his upload exceeded it by a factor of more than 2!  An entry in the web.config file set a new limit on the upload size and now we are back in business!  Grin

Jon
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 10:07:20 pm »

_Shaddow_ broke the page again using Chrome Smiley, and in my efforts to fix the issue, I added a minor bug (it looks like only savant9 encountered it - the page would inaccurately report that there was an attachment accompanying the uploaded data).  That's now fixed.  Please let me know if you see an other peculiar behavior.

Jon
savant9
Trekker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 06:11:41 pm »

I also use Chrome.  When I hit the add attachment button at the bottom, and attached a .gpx file,  it kicked out an error that only .zip.jpg...etc files were allowed and wouldn't let me hit the submit button.  Then I used the add attachment button at the top, which seemed to work fine but I was not able to clear the one that was in error at the bottom.  Submit appeared to do nothing at this point.  I then hit refresh (or back then forward, cant remember) and was able to hit submit.  That was yesterday though, I will try again later tonite when I have cleaned up another tracklog.  I was going to mention it yesterday, but other things came up.... plus I attributed it to user error...  Smiley
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 06:28:24 pm »

I might need to provide better instructions on the page - the main file selection is done in the top field, and the attachment field at the bottom is for explanatory photos or maps.  That was tacked on after I got an email submission that contained marked-up maps explaining the data, and I thought that it might be a useful field/feature to add.  It was added on quickly, though, so the thought given toward its placement is likely not the best.  I'll work on adjusting that.

Either way, I need to add checking that removes the file selection from the field if it is invalid, or a button allowing the user to clear the form entries.

Do people want to get an email verifying the upload, or is the message posted on the page enough?  Are there any other fields you would want to see?

Jon
savant9
Trekker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 08:17:15 pm »

Upped another small track.  Page worked perfectly.  I see the addition of the reset button....looks good. 

BTW, the confirmation on the page is enough for me, I don't need an email.
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 10:23:05 pm »

I've used is few times now, and it does everything I need (so far...). 

One thing that would be nice, would be some way of getting a list of what files you've uploaded.  So that if have several you can keep track of which ones have been or need to be uploaded.  I can think of a couple of ways to do this myself, but am looking for the easy solution.  Wink

Beware of Geeks bearing Gadgets!
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 02:50:01 pm »

One thing that would be nice, would be some way of getting a list of what files you've uploaded.

I'll probably implement a login system for the main site in the near-medium future which will allow you to create a profile and see what files you've uploaded.

Jon
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 09:04:19 pm »

I was going to attach a .mht file (saved web page map) but they aren't allowed.  Those and HTML might be handy to add to the allowed types.

Beware of Geeks bearing Gadgets!
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 09:09:52 pm »

If you have a file type that can't be uploaded, just throw it in a .zip file (which is allowed).

Jon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: