Switchbacks Forums
October 24, 2014, 04:47:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Trails v1.79 now available (December 12, 2013)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Logging trails to submit to switchback.com Question.........  (Read 2538 times)
ruger
Tenderfoot

View Profile Email
« on: March 29, 2010, 08:04:07 pm »

I have a Vista Hcx and have just loaded your NW trails to my maps.  I am in the Idaho Panhandle and have found that some of the trails are quite a bit off.  I am pretty sure it is not my GPS because I have verified my log on google earth and can clearly see that it is almost spot on.  Any way I want to contibute to the collection.  I will be able to log several hundred miles of trails that are not shown this summer.  My concern-question is this site askes to label trails and show junctions.  So how do you recomend I do this?  I can mark waypoints at the intersections but am at a loss as to how I am going to label the trails accordingly.  So if you could please provide me some information how you would like the data created it would be great.
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 08:53:15 pm »

Welcome!  Here's some of the things I've learned/do: 

Make sure you have the Vista set to save the tracks to the data card.  This will allow you to have more detailed tracks.  Manually saving the track on the unit will limit the number of track points used.

When you get back home, download the track from the data card onto you computer and use MapSource to edit the file.  I make each trail a seperate track, and label it with trail name and surface type (dirt, paved, trail, road, etc) - "XYZ Trail, dirt".  If the trails don't have names, I make a track for each type of surface.  If the surface types don't all connect - such as a trail with a minor trail section in the middle - I'll number the tracks - "Dirt Trail 1" "Dirt Trail 2".  If I have outbound and inbound tracks on the same trail that don't cover the exact same section (two miles out I take a minor trail that loops back to the mail trail 1 mile from the start) I'll call them "Dirt Trail 1" and "Dirt Trail 1a".  I'll do this also with different sections of a named trail that don't connect in my submission.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 08:54:57 pm by The Jester » Logged

Beware of Geeks bearing Gadgets!
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 11:10:19 am »

Jester's submissions are about the easiest to understand and integrate into the database for me, so I recommend his steps! [Smiley]

What area of the Panhandle are you in?  We have a cabin on Priest Lake and consider that my "home" territory.

Jon
ruger
Tenderfoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 07:30:39 pm »

I am in the CDA area but ride all over the northwest.   Well it is probabally a stupid question but How do I use mapsource to break my track into seperate sections-trails?  Like when I ride several different trails on the same track log.  Do you recomend I mark a waypoint at intersections?  It was mentioned to set the GPS to log to the SD card.  I do have it set to log to the card.  When I load the tracks to Mapsource is there a seperate way to get them from the card rather than the units internal memory?  Which do you prefer if there is a difference.   Ok sorry for all the questions just want to get you the best data I can.  I am computer literate but just need a little guidance.  Thanks for the support.
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 07:56:44 am »

I use a 60csx, so these notes may be different on the Vista.  I set the unit to (main menu=>Setup=>Interface) "USB Mass Storage" - this sets the unit as a external drive - and copy the file(s) to the folder I use on the computer.

Within MapSource, on the toolbar are series of buttons - Track Draw Tool, Track Erase Tool, Track Point Select Tool, Track Join Tool, Track Divide Tool - that are what I use to edit the tracks.  First open the track file, select a track from the left pane, and start "hacking and slashing".  Delete, Divide, and Join are the most used tools for me.  If you double click the track name in the left pane you can edit the track name (on the 60csx it defaults to something like "Active Log123804" - the numbers are the timestamp of when the track was started).  Which reminds me of another 'trick' - if you turn the track off and then back on when you switch trails/surfaces you don't have to do as much editing back home.  It also gives you a easy way to remember where the change happens.  If you want to know the total distance/time of all tracks, use the Track Join Tool to connect them (just don't save that track), then either use the Undo button, or reload the file.  Remember to save the edited file as GPX, MapSource defaulta to GDB.

One thing I forgot to mention before - intersections.  When I don't/can't map all the trails during a trip, to mark the "side" trails I'll walk 30-50' down the trail and then back to the main trail.  This leaves a "stub" on the track to mark where that trail is.  I started doing this so I could remember where branches were that I needed to map.  Jon has been adding them to the mapset, as they can help others in the area to know where trails to be mapped are.  When the trail is mapped, it overwrites the stub.  Sometimes I make these seperate tracks named for the trails surface.

ruger
Tenderfoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 04:14:46 pm »

Thanks for the information.  One thing you said to save gpx instead of gpd.  How do I get it in that file format.
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 09:48:05 pm »

The dialog that comes up after hitting Save has a drop down box at the very bottom "Save as type" which defaults to "Garmin GPS Database Version 3 (*.gdb)", select the last option on that list "GPS eXchange Format (*.gpx)".

Edit to add:  After saving a file in GPX, when you close the dialog it will still ask you if you want to save the changes.  It doesn't recognize any format except GDB as saving the file.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:51:48 pm by The Jester » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: