Switchbacks Forums
October 22, 2014, 10:52:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Trails v1.79 now available (December 12, 2013)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DON'T UPDATE TO MAPSOURCE 6.16.1  (Read 5667 times)
jholly
Wayfarer

I think it is over here

View Profile Email
« on: May 14, 2010, 05:29:10 pm »

I did and now Northwest Trails won't display. Anyone got a link to the 6.15.11 bits?
savant9
Trekker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 05:44:32 pm »

You should be able to find it here ------> http://gawisp.com/perry/mapsource/
Gsnorgathon
Trekker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 09:56:27 am »

Thanks for that. How dare they break NWTrails?!  Tongue
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 11:14:28 pm »

Drop me an email and I can forward the install file (I never throw files away - just keep buying bigger and bigger computers...  Wink ).

Beware of Geeks bearing Gadgets!
jholly
Wayfarer

I think it is over here

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 09:00:58 pm »

Thanks for the help and offers. I finally got it working. I had to un-install everything down to zip. Then install 6.16.1 and start installing all the maps again. Never did get NW Trails working in Basecamp like some claim.
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 08:07:32 am »

From what I can glean from the Garmin forums, the issue with Northwest Trails (and most other transparent mapsets that include a background map) not appearing in BaseCamp and now in MapSource is due to changes in the applications made to allow display of the new aerial imagery.  It appears that they have been unaware of the effect these changes have had on third-party maps and they are looking into it, but the official line is that they cannot support third-party maps.

Given that, what would you like to see done with Northwest Trails?  My gut tells me that I should remove the background map and just include the trail data itself, but I added the background map many moons ago to make it easier to locate specific trails.

Jon
jholly
Wayfarer

I think it is over here

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 10:35:02 pm »

I will give you my uninformed opinion. Don't just about all mapping garmins come with some minimal base map? Would this give you the background map for context on NW Trails? Maybe not. I would also wonder if most users of NW Trails have other maps installed? Topo's or street? I use both the 24k and 100k topos, the 100k for broad coverage and the 24k for areas I do lots of caching in. I don't bother with the street maps because that is what I got my nuvi for.

MapSource has been really great, but as time goes on basecamp will become more important as folks will want to get the birdseye maps along with the NW trails info. If the background map is causing the problem I would say it is time for the background map to fade off in to the sunset.

As a side note, with the new basecamp 3.0.3 this is the first time I got my custom Bay Area Maps to show up on Basecamp. I don't have a background map. I had do the reinstall from the bits and pieces, so maybe it time I get that inno setup working. NW Trails still does not show up.

My vote is to drop the background map. If folks have a problem without enough context then perhaps one of the free products on GPSFileDepot would solve that problem. It does look like Oregon might be short on coverage though.
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 11:57:29 pm »

It's not on the unit that the problem occurs (not enough info to find trails) as, you pointed out, there is at least the basemap.  It's in MapSource where the problem happens.  You can only have one mapset in veiw at a time and it's a pain to switch from street map to trail map trying to locate where the trail intersects the road, or where that trail system sits in relationship to anything.

Beware of Geeks bearing Gadgets!
Gsnorgathon
Trekker

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 11:41:29 am »

It's frustrating to have to make the choice. For the short term, I'd guess the background map will have to go. It's very useful, though, and it would be great if a way could be found to make it work again. (Why can't Garmin just make maps layer-able in MapSource and Basecamp as they are on the hardware?)
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 12:06:47 pm »

Since I can't expect all users to *not* upgrade to the latest version of MapSource, it looks like I'm going to have to pull the background map.  I'll keep it available for such a time as this whole issue is fixed, though (which I hope it will be).  In the meantime I'll be scouring the various forums looking to see if anyone comes up with a workaround.

Since I have the whole process of generating the mapsets automated now (leaving only the integration of new data submissions into the database and the collection of DEM and resulting creation of contour lines as the only manual parts), it is easy to keep Northwest Topos and Northwest Trails in sync.  This means you will be able to use Northwest Topos to locate areas of interest, provided you are looking in an area that that mapset covers.  FYI, I just finished adding the entirety of the Portland area to NW Topos.

Jon
jholly
Wayfarer

I think it is over here

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 12:47:02 pm »

The Jester does have a point about the background map. It is useful, but it does however limit the user to mapsource for using NW Trails. Now a question for Jon, do your scripts allow you to build the NW Trails maps with and without the background maps without a lot of work on your part? I'm wondering if the only real use of Basecamp will be for just Birdseye maps? Since I don't have a Birdseye compatible unit I'm pretty blind in that regards and I have not ventured in to using Basecamp. Perhaps for now it would be better to leave the maps and if folks start complaining about not being able to use NW Trails on Basecamp then maybe you could look at a with map and without map version.

I was able to get my issue resolved, not sure how far down on the uninstalls I had to go, and prehaps this was a divide on the code (sounds like it) and the future updates will be drop the new mapsource version in and go like it has been in the past.

Just some random thoughts.
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 04:55:53 pm »

jholly, it used to only be BaseCamp that had issues with Northwest Trails, but now it is MapSource as well.  That's why I feel the need now to address the display issue and pull the background map.  I could ignore it when it just affected BaseCamp.

Jon
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 07:50:14 am »

Woo hoo, it looks like I've discovered the issue with display of Northwest Trails in BaseCamp and the latest version of MapSource!

It seems that these applications are not as forgiving as they once were of overlapping zoom levels between the detailed maps and the preview map.  CGPSMapper has always prevented you from defining a preview map with a zoom level more detailed than the lowest zoom level in the detailed maps, but in the past users have been able to manually create custom preview maps with any zoom levels they desired and use these in place of the one created by CGPSMapper during compilation.  That no longer is the case.  You can still create a custom preview map, but you now *must* keep the zoom levels lower than those in the transparent detailed maps.

The bottom line is that Northwest Trails is now visible in both BaseCamp and Mapsource, while the bad news is that the background map used for reference with the transparent maps is much less detailed.

I'll have the changes out for the next release.

Jon
jholly
Wayfarer

I think it is over here

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 09:06:57 am »

Thanks for the effort Jon! I'll be looking forward to the next release.
Gsnorgathon
Trekker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 10:05:11 pm »

+1!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: