Switchbacks Forums
September 01, 2014, 04:14:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Trails v1.79 now available (December 12, 2013)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Area's needed mapping  (Read 9836 times)
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2009, 04:30:57 pm »

I'll start the ball rolling and list some places that need more mapping done.

1.  Beacon Hill Park, Victoria, BC
  I did a little part of it while there on a short vacation.  But there are a lot more trails.

2.  Scatter Creek area, Grand Mound area, WA (around 46 50.780 123 00.550)
  I did a couple of road sections and parts of trails, but most is left to be done.

Beware of Geeks bearing Gadgets!
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 08:31:15 am »

3. Walker Valley ORV Area (near Mount Vernon, WA)
    I pulled the roads for this area from TIGER data combined with aerial imagery, so they should be relatively accurate.  However, the trails don't show up in TIGER or in the aerials, so most of those had to come from DNR maps.  The DNR maps are notoriously inaccurate/low-res.

Jon
Lightning Jeff
Wayfarer

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 01:40:58 pm »

3. Walker Valley ORV Area (near Mount Vernon, WA)
    I pulled the roads for this area from TIGER data combined with aerial imagery, so they should be relatively accurate.  However, the trails don't show up in TIGER or in the aerials, so most of those had to come from DNR maps.  The DNR maps are notoriously inaccurate/low-res.

Ah jeez. I've been thinking about getting a dirt bike again, mainly to ride on some family property on Badger Mountain. Now I can justify the cost (to myself, if not my wife) as a necessary sacrifice for the NW Trails project. But, if I remember correctly, there are some trails in Walker Valley that I might have trouble mapping. (Think "stubs" of track where I fall off the trail...)
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 03:32:16 pm »

I was just down at Seward Park for the Furry 5K and see that the trails are not complete.

Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 07:25:42 am »

Ah jeez. I've been thinking about getting a dirt bike again, mainly to ride on some family property on Badger Mountain. Now I can justify the cost (to myself, if not my wife) as a necessary sacrifice for the NW Trails project. But, if I remember correctly, there are some trails in Walker Valley that I might have trouble mapping. (Think "stubs" of track where I fall off the trail...)

You've definitely got to get a dirt bike!  I'm looking forward to getting back on mine once I can get it running right (it didn't take sitting all winter without winterizing very well).

Jon
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 07:34:35 pm »

I was just down at Seward Park for the Furry 5K and see that the trails are not complete.
Less of it needs mapping now.  I've done the southern section and northwest section.  There's still more that could be done...

The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 08:12:58 pm »

Warren G Magnuson Park has a very extensive trail system.  I spent about 3.5 hours there, covering about 6.5 miles (some of that backtracking trails), and there are still lots of trails to go.  If anyone is going to map there before the next version (1.43) is released, I've attached my track file.

The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 09:07:24 pm »

Less of it needs mapping now.  I've done the southern section and northwest section.  There's still more that could be done...
I've done all the 'major' trails in Seward Park.  There are a number of minor trails that exist here and there (some might lead to caches - it's been a long time since I found many of them).

MtnMutt
Wayfarer

I'm not lost, I just cannot be found!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 03:47:25 pm »

Numerous trails have been opened up by 'WhiteBark' above Iron Horse. Once I get back out there and figure which way he going I'll get those documented. I have a clue but I'll wait until I actual see for myself.
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 02:52:19 pm »

For those of you in the Spokane area, Bear Lake County Park is an area that could use mapping.  There is a good network of trails there and not one of them is in the project yet!

Jon
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 10:36:20 pm »

For those of you in the Spokane area, Bear Lake County Park is an area that could use mapping.  There is a good network of trails there and not one of them is in the project yet!
That's too funny!  We drove by there yesterday on the way home from a caching trip in the NE corner of WA.  We didn't really have time to stop though...

The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 09:40:05 pm »

Clarks Creek Park in Puyallup needs some more work, I spent 2.5 hours there and mapped 2.25+ miles of the major trails (total of 5.5 miles of track with backtracking).  Lots of trails branch off and need mapping.

Gsnorgathon
Trekker

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 05:26:10 pm »

I notice that none of the three units of the John Day Fossil Beds (Clarno, Painted Hills, Sheep Rock) are in the db. I'm heading down there next week, but I'm meeting up with my bro and his small childs so I'm not sure how many of the trails I'll be able to snag. It would be especially cool if someone could get the ones around the Hancock Field Station near Clarno; those are the ones I figure I'm least likely to get to.

Update: We've got bunches of John Day goodness now, but as advertised, no Hancock Field Station trails yet.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 01:15:40 am by Gsnorgathon » Logged
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 04:56:48 pm »

I was just in Tacoma - that area needs some serious mapping!  I was in the TCC area and Snake Lake Park (both done, well, TCC has a lot of minor trails that could be added).  But I know China Lake Park and Chamber's Creek area need mapping.  And the Scott Pierson Trail (bike trail) needs mapping.

ETA:  Did the Scott Pierson Trail today, but the Cushman Trail (Gig Harbor, just a little ways beyond the end of SPT) needs mapping. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 04:46:44 pm by The Jester » Logged

Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 04:55:27 pm »

Actually, I'm amazed at how underrepresented some large metro areas are.  For example, there has been no participation from places like Boise, Olympia and Eugene and minimal participation from places like Wenatchee, Bellingham, and Spokane.  If anyone has any thoughts on how to better get more people involved, I'm all ears! (Jester can't do it all himself!  Cheesy)

Jon
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: