Switchbacks Forums
April 16, 2014, 08:49:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Topos v0.26 now available (December 12, 2013)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Area's needed mapping  (Read 9286 times)
Phil Andrews
Trekker

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 09:43:56 pm »

Seems Jester is doing quite well Grin I have a contact in Wenatchee, I will see if he can help since he has my old Garmin just for geocaching. Cheesy
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 11:11:05 pm »

But I can try!  Grin

Beware of Geeks bearing Gadgets!
Phil Andrews
Trekker

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 08:40:55 pm »

I have a friend in Wenatchee that has a cheap garmin that a friend gave to him It's good enough for mapping and he is getting into it. The prob is he runs linux and is having probs with finding sw. I told him I would upload mapsource to a place on my server for him to dl and run on a windoze machine(his mother, of all people, oh, she caches too). I have been doing some research on linux and garmin and I think there's a good workaround using wine but I don't run linux anymore because of problem's using all my toys.
Anyways, I'll see what I can do with him saving his tracks.
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 10:26:17 pm »

I was down in the Long Beach area this past weekend.  I got a number of trails mapped in Cape Disappointment SP, but there's still some to do.  Leadbetter SP has a couple of more trails to be done (from the TH maps).  Pacific Pines SP and Loomis Lake SP both have trails to the beach that need mapping.  We biked the entire Discovery Trail (in a foggy stiff headwind).

The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 04:54:29 pm »

I've been working a number of parks in Pierce County (River Walk Trail, Bradley Lake Park, Wildwood Park, Wright Park, Wapato Hills, Water Ditch Trail, Cushman Power Line Trail, China Lake Park, War Memorial Park, Titlow Park, sections of the Foothills Trail).  The "monster" is Fort Steilacoom Park, my wife and I did 5 miles there and that's hardly a dent.  I'm thinking a hundred hours (at 2-4 hours a trip ... that's a lot of days!) might get it done.  Take a look at the sat photos to get a feel for what's there...

The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 05:25:34 pm »

I may have exaggerated the time needed for Fort Stiellacoom Park mapping - but not by much!  I just spent 2.5 hours there, walked over 6 miles (maybe 3.5 miles of new trail due to back tracking), and only covered one small section (and not completely, there are a LOT of criss crossing trails!).  Add in the 45 minute (one way) drive time and you're looking at a major time commitment...

Phil Andrews
Trekker

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 11:07:37 pm »

Hey Jester, was fun to see you at the Cedar River Event. Did we lay gravel or what? Cheesy
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 03:38:41 pm »

Whoo Whee!  I just finished the last day in Fort Steilacoom Park.  It took nine trips with a total of 13.5  hours of driving there/back, 19:52 time on the trails, and 41.3 miles of walking.  There are still lots of minor trails that could be mapped, and some trail within the off-leash area, but I'll leave that to the locals...

Now, where I'm I going to go next... Huh?

Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 04:28:10 pm »

Woo hoo!  Thanks, Jester!  Now, please get all of the trails in the Gifford-Pinchot National Forest.  Thanks! Cheesy

Jon
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 09:50:10 pm »

Hmm...  Let's see, if I start at ...  Grin

jholly
Wayfarer

I think it is over here

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 05:08:22 pm »

Last time I was down there I noted that the Gig Harbor area was woefully devoid of mapped trails in the forested areas.  Smiley
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2011, 01:45:15 pm »

Last time I was down there I noted that the Gig Harbor area was woefully devoid of mapped trails in the forested areas.  Smiley
I was just looking at the maps/caches for that area.  Do you have any particulars, as I'm not familiar with the area (aside from the cache machine a couple of years ago...).  I see McCormick Park/Forest, but where else needs trail mapping?

Dgwphotos
Tenderfoot

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 08:46:29 pm »

Some of the trails in the Ellensburg area probably still need mapping. I did what I could while I was still there, but Uptanum Creek, and the Book trail on Manashtash ridge are probably unmapped.
The Jester
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 02:36:39 pm »

The new version (1.68) changed my plans for the long mapping day in Gig Harbor/Key Peninsula.  I was going to do Rocky Creek Park, but saw that it was already done.  I mapped 360 Park a couple of weeks ago (late on submitting the data), but was able to cover a couple of smaller areas in Gig Harbor (Adam Tallman Nature Park and Grandview Forest Park (NW Topos shows it as Gig Harbor Green Park)), several trails/parks down Key Peninsula (including Joemma Beach State Park), ending in the Harbor Heights area in Gig Harbor (5.4 miles, 5 caches, in 2:40).  I started on the first trail about 9:15am, got back to the car in Harbor Heights at about 8:45pm (sunset at 8:55) - I spent about 7 hours 20 minutes on 13.3 miles of road/trail. 

There's still a couple areas to check out:  Sunrise Beach County Park, the area around/along Drummond Dr/Hallstrom Dr, and Crescent Lake County Park.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: