Switchbacks Forums
October 23, 2019, 09:14:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Northwest Trails v1.80 now available (December 16, 2014)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cease and Desist letter from Garmin  (Read 8704 times)
Moun10Bike
Switchbacks.com Guy
Administrator
Expeditionist

stanley_jon@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 27, 2010, 10:36:49 am »

I was gone Friday through Monday attending ASP Geobash in New York as a Groundspeak Lackey, so I've been playing catch-up this week (which is why I haven't been able to get a new build of NW Trails out yet).  I arrived home to find a "Cease and Desist" letter from Garmin.  It was friendly enough given the nature of such letters, but the bottom line is that they do not consider MapSource to be a free program and took objection to my directions on the web site telling people how to get it for free.  As a result, you will note that I have pulled all of the "What If I Don't Have MapSource?" sections from the various mapset download pages.

I have to say this surprises me, partly because I'm such a small fish, but mostly because it seems like MapSource is just a wrapper for the various mapsets.  The data in the mapsets is where the value is, not the shell itself, so I wrongly assumed that it was okay to direct people on how to get that shell, especially when each step involved downloading items straight from Garmin's own site.

Anyway, I'd appreciate it if people would avoid sharing this apparently illegal method of obtaining MapSource with others.

Thanks!

Jon
Phil Andrews
Trekker

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 09:51:39 am »

Boo. Angry
jholly
Wayfarer

I think it is over here

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 01:00:22 pm »

I guess they have not gotten around to sending the letter to gpsfiledepot yet. They still have their instructions up. I am sorry to hear this.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 01:02:36 pm by jholly » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: